Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The Morning walk

Nanowrimo 3

My mornings always starts with an alarm Tring. ..Tring at 6 am.

Every morning when the alarm goes I curse myself, 'Why dont you change the time lazibones?"

Now,with the onset of winter I don't feel like getting up so early.So when the alarm rings, I quickly shut it off with one hand and with the other cover my head with my light quilt, going back into blissful sleep.

Yesterday's happiness had really soothed my nerves that I slept like a log.

For a change, I woke up with a happy gait on the first alarm itself. The feeling of going back to sleep did not overpower me , rather amused me surprisingly.

I jumped out of my bed, changed into my blue tracks , white T. Shirt and my Nike shoes which I wear with great joy...Ha ha..now this is funny!

Let me share it with you all.My feet are very small.Siddh my grandson, had outgrown his shoes which fitted me beautifully and most comfortably.And he was in splits seeing me wear his shoes. "Oh Nani...your feet are so small.Im in class five, look...my feet are longer than yours. ..Really you have kid size feet."

"Good so I have the benefit of wearing your shoes...isn't it great." I would happily declare.

So that's the kick of it...wearing your grandson' shoes!

There is so much joy and pride into it...at least I feel that way. May be ,someday you shall experience the same joy ,were you to be in the same situation.

As I opened the balcony door , the cold nip swept over me. Taking a stole for the wrap , I ran down the flight of stairs, with a small sling pouch running through the neck dangling sideways, to hold my mobile and car keys. Sitting in the car first tuned on the radio...Ah the morning ragas...I love to hear them in the morning...humming the tunes, drove my car and reached the park. I love this park..A very sylvan kind of a park!

Entering the park, descended few steps and started walking . As I walked through the gravel path the chilly morning air seemed to pierce my very being. My shawl slipped from the head onto the shoulders. Keeping pace with the steps I quickly covered my head tightly tucking the ends in the folds of the shawl.

My walking was now on fast pace.Suddenly from the corner of the eye it seemed something crossed my path and the next instant I stumbled over something. Thinking, that I must have stumbled over a stone, turned to throw it aside. One look at the object was enough to horrify me out of my wits end.

“Jesus!” I let out a long wail, “I stepped over a squirrel”?

Bending low I quickly picked up the poor creature. Taking it near a tap sprinkled some water. Making a cushion of my shawl, I placed the squirrel and gently wrapped it. Holding close to my bosom a fervent silent prayer kept running my lips, “Please God ..save this little creature…Please don’t let it die.”

Forgetting all about the walk, I ran to my car to take the poor little creature for some medical help. The vet did his job, administered some medicine, kept the squirrel in his clinic and asked me to come next day. My world had come to halt. The guilt of nearly killing the poor creature weighed heavy on my heart. Next day the biggest joy I got was when I saw the squirrel alive , nibbling something in the safe environs of the cage..In between it looked up straight into my eyes, as if saying,"Never step on a squirrel again you in nitwit! "

Almost reflexly my hand touched my neck blurting out,"Never again little one...I promise!"

The doctor amused at my plight said,"Don't worry ...It will find you someday in the park!

We laughed aloud and then took leave from the doc.

Sitting in the car I heaved a sigh of relief. My heart felt light again. A happy ending indeed!

Kiren Babal

10.11.2015

No comments:

Post a Comment