Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Little Mercies of life

Nanowrimo..1.

This is my first entry...hesitantly.

Little mercies of life

Sundays are always taken for as rest days. As usual, I got up late and coming to the balcony sat in my rocking chair to enjoy the fresh air and the chirrups of the birds...eyelids still heavy with the burden of sleep.

'Ah, a cup of coffee is the need of the hour!'

Getting up ,went into the kitchen, made a hot aromatic coffee, then reclining again into the mild rhythmic movement of the chair, took the first sip of the aromatic coffee. I took a long breath, filling my nostrils savoring the flavour with my closed eyes.

Morning cool breeze , hot cup of coffee, stress free Sunday, a moment no less than a paradise for me!The aroma rising soothed my nerves and the day dreamer that I was ,drifted in another realm of dreamy happy thoughts.

Suddenly a man standing near the gate caught my attention. A mediocre height, peppered hair, neatly dressed, looking up was waving his hands, to catch my attention. As my gaze met his, he blurted out,"Ma'am can I come up ...and talk to you for a minute. "

From my second floor balcony did not wish to make a conversation, hence gestured a nod with chagrin.

I had recently got attached an iron door to the front main wooden door of my house, for security purpose. With quick movements ,I opened the wooden door and locked the iron mesh door from inside. Probably he did see me locking the door but I didn't care.

With a stern questioning look I said,'Yes, what is it?"

"Ma'am , have you got your credit cards?"

I snapped him short,"Sorry I am not going to buy your sales gimmicks...trust you people to come on a Sunday and bother like this."

Before I could shut my wooden door, he raised his voice bar,"Ma'am, I'm not here to sell any cards to you. Just on my insistence ...please check your cards...do you have them?"

"Of course I have them...why are you concerned with it?" I countered.

"Ma'am I again request you...Please check."

Seeing my hesitation he smiled,"What are you scared of ...The door is locked from inside...and I can't come inside."

"Okay, give me a minute."

I locked the wooden door and went inside.Didn't expect my Sunday to be spoilt like this.Grumpily I opened my clutch purse.To my horror all the five cards were missing and I wasn't even aware of it..

I rushed back. Opening the wooden door I kind of shrieked, "Oh my God...All my five cards are missing....Who are you and what do you know about my cards...?"

"Ma'am relax...no need to panic...your cards are safe."

He took out five cards from his pocket and showed them to me,

" Are they yours?"

"Yes yes" my neck shook like Noddy .

I quickly opened the iron door and gestured ,"Please come in..."

"First you take the cards."

For a moment stood there muttering, my cards close to my chest, "Thank you so much...imagine I didn't even know my cards went missing."

Sitting in the drawing room he revealed everything."Ma'am my name is S.P Singh and I live in R.k.puram.Yesterday while walking in the Deer Park I found these five cards(three credit cards, licence card and a pancard) lying on the ground.

I tried calling ICICI and SBI banks to block them, but they refused as a policy matter. Your name and address was there on the licence. Night time did not want to disurb anyone, so today came specially to verify and hand over to the rightful person."

It then dawned to me that while walking yesterday, I had given my keys and purse to my maid, walking along with me. She also didn't realize, in her rhythmic walk,when the cards slipped out.The whole scene flashed in front of my eyes.

Realizing the seriousness of it, I got goose bumps.Had it fallen in wrong hands, my accounts would have been swindled by now.The man like a good samaritan saved me from so many implications.

Thank you Mr. Singh from the bottom of my heart...but for you, all my money would have gone."

At such moment the least gratitude I could offer him was a hot aromatic coffee, to which he happily agreed

I must say no matter how corrupt and unsafe Delhi might be, it still strives , thrives and survives on the Good -Smaritans we have in the city . Undoubtedly Mr. Singh was one such Samaritan our Delhi is proud of!

#Kiren Babal

5.11.2015

No comments:

Post a Comment