Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Our Dear Deer Park



OUR DEAR, DEER PARK

I may not know Delhi too well...its quite vast as a matter of fact...and virtually impossible for any one to be familiar with , in its minutest detail. Surprisingly many do...I don't know how?

But,ask me anything about my dear, Deer Park... I can narrate tales after tales about it .Nature always has bountiful to offer and I have always come back enriched,with a story in my head. ..sometimes real and sometimes with my castles in the air. Feel so restless the day I miss my walk!

Now, let me give a brief introduction about it....

Deer Park comprises of three parks adjacent to each other. There is interconnectivity with all the three parks. Deer Park and District Park are in one row.These two parks are connected internally by few flight of steps on either side of a low level boundary dividing it... a nallah bridge ,followed by a narrow lane with a jungle patch on either side.The other end of the lane opens to the District park.

Rose garden , the third park is behind these two parks.A road running in between separates it from the other two parks.All three combined together is popularly known by one pet name, 'The Deer Park.'

Diwali time has just passed. Like every year this year too, made Rangoli for my my friend Illa .Secondly we never miss talking about our walk on Choti Diwali.We talk about it then laugh it off...

Lets go down the memory lane of that walk in the year 2012!

As usual my friend Illa and I were going towards District park for a walk.The only difference was that, that day her husband ,Rishabh Jain drove us in his car.From the roadside District park comes after crossing the Dear Park

It was one of those days when he did not go for his golf.A tall man with long strides always walked way ahead of us, leaving us to walk at our own pace , our ladies talk and our outburst of wisecracks.

With people doing yoga... an open gym, a sylyan park...there was lots to witness.

The green foliage...birds, peacocks, and their morning chatter all were like music to the ears.

We crossed half rectangle side of the park from the right side, and now were nearing the pond.

Yet another spectacle !

The geese gliding majestically and the little ones trailing behind like soft cotton balls , the cacaphony of their quacks were treat to the eyes..Her husband had taken the opposite side of the pond so that we could meet at the end point.Approaching us he suggested,"Why don't we go up to the rose garden today?

"Why not...We are a game to it we both said in unison."

So then taking the narrow passage in between the jungle, crossing the bridge ,climbing few stairs we descended into the Deer Park .Walking a little ahead took a right turn ,continuing few furlongs again, came out of the rear gate. Crossing the road ,entered the pathway of the garden leading to the rose garden which was nearly at the fag end.

For us ladies it was no less than a marathon, but we kept on spiritedly. Meandering road, laced with Eucalyptus trees, in between bushes of bogeinvillas had colourful spray...and a rectangle fullwidth park was in full bloom with various sizes of colour and hues.

We sat there for few minutes to catch our breaths and the eyes to savour the beauty of colourful roses.The fragrance from the garden entring our nostrils, soothened and revived us again.

The return was the same route as we came...like a lasso turn. Crossing the same stairs bridge we entered the narrow path. Rishabh ji had already crossed the passage and taken a right turn.

Suddenly Illa said, "Do you know , Kiren. ..yesterday Mrs Sood had gone to the bank to withdraw some money.When she entered the green park gate, a man came running and snatched her purse.."

Before I could react at the same instant a man dashing out of bushes from behind, ran towards my friend and caught her by the shoulders.She tried to move but he jerked her in a tight grip, grappling with her neck with strong hissing sound. She went stone standing there.

As for myself I thought some friend of hers is playing a prank on her.I looked at her to understand...she had no expressions...total pin drop silence except for the hissing and heavy breathing sound.

Something flashed in my mind.., without turning I took a backward step to get a look at the man.

Gosh that devilish Fierce look...The constant hissing sound..and his struggle to break open the chain.In his focus did not notice my movement.

OMG...my eyes ogled out...a chain snatcher...my voice choked...failed to utter a word.

That very instant...as if hypnotised...something happened.My right arm went around his neck like a snake slithering around...then in a tight noose...and I was hanging in the air...gripping his neck.

Like a gunny bag he lunged me down on the ground..and scampered off into the jungle..

Shock stricken and choked , our voices also betrayed us... could not even raise an alarm.

I quickly got up...shook my friend...who was still standing like a stone.

"Are you okay. ..Illa?...your chain and pendant...Jesus... its gone...and you shirt. ..its torn from the shoulder and neck area."

I looked around and saw that we were all alone in that passage.

Dazed but now she was talking.

"I thought a mad man had struck me"

"And I thought a friend was playing prank on you...It was only when I back stepped I saw such fierceness on his face...that I realized he was a chain snatcher..."

I was blabbering,"I don't know how,but my arm encircled him by the neck..trying to stop him...Ooooh how I wish, I could save your chain..."

By now people were pouring from both sides. Hearing the commotion Rishabh ji had retreated and was consoling her.

One person reacted.."You are lucky madam...if the guy had any weapon ,you would have been dead by now."

Fear did grip me but was feeling bad that my efforts did not bore any result. Wish I could save her chain and the pendant.It was a heavy chain with an equally heavy diamond pendant.

People resumed their walk again consoling us. A lady went ahead from the side we had come..she bent down..picked up something and asked,"Madam...is this yours"

And there it was the chain and the pendant!

Yes yes we both shouted ,"Its her chain...Its mine."

Our voices intermingled.

A wave of happiness swept all around us.In the frenzy we hugged each other.Tears rolled down our happy faces...

"This is the true Dhanteras ..Illaji" and we hugged each other again.

In that struggle of freeing himself ,the chain must have slipped from that buggers hands.

It was the most happiest retreat back home , our hearts dancing with joy. As I sat in the car, felt a stinging pain in my knees..I then realized that I had fell on my knees and bruised thenm...deep red abrasions around both the knees...and they hurt badly.

"Let's go home...I'll do your dressing my dear friend...A hot cup of tea and crisp cheese toasts."

Both husband wife chorused..."We are lucky Kiren. ..and grateful to God...nothing untoward happened...otherwise we would be in the hospital and you howling in pain".

Oh come on, don't scare me...as it is, the tetenus needle is dangling in front of my eyes...oh I'm so sit scared of the injection...I don't know how all that happened...when it comes to valour..I am like a wet mouse...seriously..ask my daughter!"

They both burst laughing.

As for my daughter, when she heard the whole story quipped,"Wow.. my little...'Jhansi ki Rani'...wah wah"

The impact was so great that from that day...Rose garden was banned from our walking list.

Even today the sound of the fleeting step makes us both turn immediately, to see who is coming behind us.

Yet we talk about it every year...that eventful 'Dhanteras'.

Kiren Babal

14.11.2015

No comments:

Post a Comment